The need for these homes is great as many Klahoose members increasingly want to return to the Klahoose village to work and be a part of the community. The project is being completed by Spooner Contracting out of Campbell River, B.C.
Some highlights of the project are as follows:
- The construction will employ three band members and will be completed in six to eight months
- Financing for this project is through Klahoose own source revenue and each home will be Klahoose owned. This is a first for the Nation.
- Klahoose members have the option of owning each residence
- The model can be used for other First Nations on how to use own source revenue to build infrastructure.
- The project will help with improve the housing shortage and will encourage healthy living in the community.
Klahoose is also working on upgrades to the sewer system and a water and sewer feasibility study to be completed in the coming months. Future subdivision plans are being discussed by council. For more information please contact Housing Coordinator Vera Peacey email@example.com or Klahoose Adnimistrator, Marion Mckellar firstname.lastname@example.org 250.935.6536